About the position
Treatment Action Group (TAG) is seeking an ambitious, experienced, creative, hands-on, and organized Coordinator for our Programmatic Communications. Seated in our communications team, this new position at TAG will support and amplify the work of our fast-moving and far-reaching policy and program teams. The Coordinator will be responsible for creating and executing a comprehensive strategy for leveraging a wide range of communications channels (e.g., social media, publications, webinars, earned media) to maximize TAG’s advocacy and community engagement reach and impact.
Strong candidates will have a track record of developing and launching resources for advocacy for progressive causes, an understanding of how to meet the needs of a wide range of audiences, excellent project management skills, great interpersonal abilities (including a sense of humor!), and a passion for TAG’s mission.
The Coordinator will report to TAG’s Deputy Executive Director, and work closely with TAG’s program and policy Directors, and with TAG’s Communication Manager (whose focus is on managing TAG’s website, communications operations, vendors, and fundraising communications).
Treatment Action Group (TAG) is an independent, activist, and community-based research and policy think tank committed to racial, gender, and LGBTQ+ equity; social justice; and liberation, fighting to end HIV, tuberculosis (TB), and hepatitis C virus (HCV). At TAG, we strive to reflect in our organizational composition and operations the values, principles, and rights for which we advocate externally. This includes a commitment to equity and justice, as well valuing diversity of experience, in our employment practices. We encourage Black, indigenous, and people of color; women; transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming people; and people with disabilities to apply.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with program/policy teams (HIV, tuberculosis, hepatitis C, policy) to develop a strategic approach to using communications for advancing policy, advocacy, and community engagement objectives across various communications channels;
- Work with the Communications Manager and program/policy teams to coordinate flow and timing and representation of TAG’s various workstreams in our public-facing communications;
- Optimize TAG’s approach to publications from conception through launch to: shorten development timelines while maintaining quality; support program/policy teams in building in considerations of access and audience from the outset; create and execute dissemination strategies; and relieve the overall communications burden on program/policy staff;
- Create and execute a strategic approach to TAG’s social media presence to ensure reach, consistency, and accessibility;
- Develop and execute communications strategy for mobilization and organizing, including creating an approach to using TAG’s online marketing platform (Salsa Engage) for information dissemination and calls to action;
- Set, and support staff in adhering to, standard operating procedures for common communications functions at TAG to improve efficiency and accessibility in communications.
- Write copy (press releases, statements, web text, social media text) to reach TAG’s diverse audiences (affected communities in the U.S. and globally, policymakers, funders, elected officials, researchers, clinicians, other community organizations);
- Provide direction to contractors on the creation of infographics and visual content for campaigns, reports, social media;
- Organize and manage the back-end technical functions for webinars;
- Manage consultant to consistently create and post engaging social media content;
- Work with authors and Communications Manager to plan full lifecycle of publications (including managing multiple translations and use of assistive technology for accessibility);
- Execute launches of publications;
- Build and maintain relationships with traditional media outlets to cultivate earned media and prepare/coach staff for media interviews, talking points, etc.;
- Standardize formats / templates for press releases, announcements, references, etc., and updating of TAG’s style/reference guides for efficiency and consistency across TAG communications;
- Oversee organization / segmentation of Salsa Engage for targeting advocacy outreach and calls to action to relevant members of TAG’s network;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Background, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- 5+ years working in Communications for a progressive organization (experience working in HIV, hepatitis C, tuberculosis, a strong plus);
- Ability to both think big picture to develop strategy, and to roll up sleeves to implement that strategy;
- Strong understanding of using communications to advance advocacy and community engagement;
- Ability to self-direction and proactive approach to work;
- Ability to work collaboratively, including strong interpersonal and networking skills; (relationships with traditional media outlets a plus);
- Excellent project management skills and ability to balance competing deadlines and priorities in a fast-moving, dynamic work environment;
- Superb organization skills, attention to detail, and follow-through;
- Sound judgment and problem-solving capacity;
- Curiosity and willingness to learn about new, technical subject matters without getting intimidated a must (subject matter familiarity with the issues on which TAG works a plus);
- Strong sense of how to represent an organization’s unique brand through voice and visuals is a must (graphic design skills are a plus);
- Demonstrated experience or commitment to working in a multicultural environment that values diversity and equity based on race, ethnic and national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and physical ability (experience with operationalizing language justice and accessibility in communications a strong plus);
- Experience developing publications, managing organizational social media channels, and working with online marketing software is a must (experience with Salsa Engage a strong plus; search engine optimization skills a plus);
- Passion for TAG’s mission is a must; lived experience with the conditions on which TAG works is a plus.
Salary & Benefits
The salary will be $65,000 – $72,000 per annum, commensurate with experience, skills, and location. TAG offers a competitive benefits package that includes fully-employer paid health insurance and generous paid vacation (starting at four weeks, plus additional paid sick leave and holidays).
Location and Hours
TAG is not requiring employees to work from our New York City headquarters office for at least the remainder of 2021, and is open to candidates based anywhere in the U.S. who are able to work within TAG’s office hours (10am-6pm ET). Candidates outside the New York City area should have a demonstrated history of working successfully and long-term in a remote position. This is a full-time, exempt position; work on evenings and weekends may be required. TAG does not have capacity to provide visa support. Only candidates with existing authorization to work in the U.S. will be eligible.
How to Apply
Please send a one-page cover letter, current CV/résumé (2-page maximum), two samples that demonstrate your writing and comms strategy skills (maximum of 5 pages total), and 3 professional references and their contact information to email@example.com, with “Comms Coordinator” as the subject line. We will review applications on a rolling basis. Please, no recruiters or phone calls.
Treatment Action Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability, personal appearance, family responsibility, political affiliation or any other status protected by applicable law. People of color; women; transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming people; veterans; and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.