TB Research Briefing for UN Missions:
THE VITAL ROLE OF RESEARCH FOR TB ELIMINATION
This briefing in New York City on June 4, 2018 provided an opportunity for discussion on the importance of investing in the full spectrum of TB research, and adopting principles to guide research to ensure efficiency and equitable access. The event featured Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, Deputy Director General for Programmes, World Health Organization, as the keynote speaker and then had three panels.
The full event can be seen here.
Watch the Introduction and Keynote Remarks.
- Introduction: Mark Harrington, Executive Director of Treatment Action Group
- Keynote speaker: Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, Deputy Director General for Programmes, World Health Organization
- Opening remarks and moderator: Professor Charlotte Watts, Chief Scientific Advisor, DFID
- Ms. Eloisa Zepeda-Teng, TB survivor, Philippines
- Dr. Tereza Kasaeva, Director, WHO Global TB Programme
- Dr. Irene Ayakaka, Makere University and Uganda Tuberculosis Implementation Research Consortium; download Dr. Ayakaka’s slides
- Moderator: Dr. Lucica Ditiu, Executive Director of the Stop TB Partnership
- Dr. Joanne Liu, International President, Doctors Without Borders
- Mr. Mike Frick, Senior Project Officer, Treatment Action Group
- Ms. Cheri Vincent, Chief, USAID; download Ms. Vincent’s slides
- Respondent: Mrs. Paulomi Tripathi, First Secretary, Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations
- Moderator: Mark Harrington, Executive Director, Treatment Action Group
- Dr. Paula Fujiwara, Scientific Director, The Union
- Dr. Tenu Avafia, Team Leader, Human rights, law, and treatment access, UNDP HIV, Health and Development Group; download Dr. Avafia’s slides
Closing remarks: Rt. Hon. Nick Herbert, Member of Parliament, U.K.