Some HIV cure research studies ask participants to temporarily stop antiretroviral therapy, which is referred to as an analytical treatment interruption (ATI). This module explains the use of ATIs in HIV cure research and covers what is currently known about the potential risks and risk mitigation strategies surrounding ATIs.
BEAT-HIV Collaboratory HIV Cure Education Series
The Art of A.T.I. Discusses what is an analytical treatment interruption (ATI) and why it is included in cure-directed studies.
- BEAT-HIV Collaboratory Analytical Treatment Interruption (ATI) Position Paper. November 2020.
- Tager J, Evans D. Time Out: Treatment Interruption: A Risky but Essential Step in Cure Research. Positively Aware Winter 2017 Issue.
- Treatment Action Group (TAG). Community Recommendations for Clinical Research Involving Antiretroviral Treatment Interruptions in Adults. November 2018.
- Brown T. I Am The Berlin Patient: A Personal Reflection. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses 2015;31(1).
- Dubé K, Auerbach JD, Stirratt MJ, Gaist P. Applying the Behavioral and Social Sciences Research (BSSR) Functional Framework to HIV Cure Research. Journal of the International AIDS Society 2019,22:e25404.
- Eyal N, Holtzman LG, Deeks SG. Ethical Issues in HIV Remission Trials. Current Opinion in HIV/AIDS 2018;13(5):422-7.
- Eyal N, Deeks SG. Risk to Nonparticipants in HIV Remission Studies with Treatment Interruption: A Symposium. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2019;220(Suppl 1):S1-S4.
- Freshwater W. From Early AIDS Vaccine to HIV Cure Research with Analytical Treatment Interruption Trials: A Study Participant Testimonial. Journal of Virus Eradication 2019;5(4):231-3.
- Garner SA, Rennie S, Ananworanich J, Dubé K, Margolis DM, Sugarman J, Tressler R, Gilbertson A, Dawson L. Interrupting Antiretroviral Treatment in HIV Cure Research: Scientific and Ethical Considerations. Journal of Virus Eradication 2017;3:82-4.
- Julg B, Dee L., Ananworanich J, Barouch BH, Bar K, et al. Recommendations for Analytical Treatment Interruption in HIV Research Trials – Report of a Consensus Workshop. Lancet HIV 2019;6(4):e259-68.
- Lau JSY, Smith MZ, Lewin SR, McMahon JH. Clinical Trials of Antiretroviral Treatment Interruption in HIV Infected Individuals. AIDS 2019;33:773-91.
- Margolis DM, Deeks SG. How Unavoidable Are Analytical Treatment Interruptions in HIV Cure-Related Studies? Journal of Infectious Diseases 2019;220(S1):S24-6.
- Namazi G, Fajnzylber JM, Aga E, Bosch RJ, Acosta EP, et al. The Control of HIV After Antiretroviral Medication Pause (CHAMP) Study: Posttreatment Controllers Identified from 14 Clinical Studies. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2018;218(12):1954-63.
- Peluso MJ, Dee L, Campbell DM, Taylor J, Hoh R, Rutishauser RL, Sauceda JA, Deeks SG, Dubé K. A Collaborative, Multi-Disciplinary Approach to HIV Transmission Risk Mitigation during ATI. Journal of Virus Eradication 2020;6:34-7.
- Peluso MJ, Dee L, Shao S, Taylor J, Campbell DM, Collins S, Gandhi M, Johnston R, Deeks SG, Sauceda JA, Dubé K. Operationalizing HIV Cure-Related Trials with ATIs during SARS-Cov-2 Pandemic: A Collaborative Approach. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2020;Aug 25;ciaa1260.
- Stetcher M, Claβen A, Klein F, Lehmann C, Gruell H, Platten M, Wyen C, Behrens G, Fätkenheuer G, Vehreschild JJ. Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Treatment Interruptions in HIV Type-1 Infected Patients Receiving ART: Implications for Future HIV Cure Trials. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2020;70(7):1406-17.