An introductory overview of the research effort to develop a cure for HIV infection. Topics covered include terms and definitions used in HIV cure research, the reasons why a cure is needed, evidence supporting that a cure is possible, and strategies currently being investigated towards an HIV cure. A longer, “Deeper Dive” version of the module is also available.
Biology of HIV
- Science of HIV – The HIV Life Cycle
- Basic Function of the Immune System
- HIV and AIDS: Infection Stages, Pathology and Treatment
Stigma and Discrimination of HIV
HIV Cure-Related Research Overview
- BEAT-HIV Collaboratory HIV Cure Education Series
- Why It Is So Hard to Cure HIV by Janet Iwasa
- NIAID Video – Approaches to an HIV Cure (White Board)
- HIV Cure Research Video by Josephine Nabukenya
- The World’s Second Person Cured of HIV
- BEAT-HIV Collaboratory Community Voices on HIV Cure
- IAS Scientific Working Group on HIV Cure. Research Priorities for an HIV Cure: IAS Global Scientific Strategy (2021). Nature Medicine (1 December 2021). DOI: 10.1038/s41591-021-01590-5.
- IAS strategy for an HIV cure (2021): an easy-to-read Q&A – HIV i-Base, December 1, 2021.
- Kalidasan V, Das KT. Lessons Learned from Failures and Success Stories of HIV Breakthroughs: Are We Getting Closer to an HIV Cure? Frontiers in Microbiology 2020; 11(46):1-17.